Data Steward – Faculty of Geosciences – Utrecht University – July 2021 to Today
- Assisting researchers with applying best practices for data management and promoting FAIR data and open science.
- Creating web resources for domain specific data retrieval and interagency collaboration.
GIS Analyst – Digital Heritage and Humanities Collections – University of South Florida Libraries – September 2020 to Today
- Creating web GIS viewers on ArcGIS Online for project sites.
- Image management and processing with Adobe Lightroom.
- Writing Python scripts with ArcPy and ArcGIS API for Python for automating data collection, processing, and publishing.
Geospatial Specialist – Digital Heritage and Humanities Collections – University of South Florida Libraries – September 2016 to August 2020
- Site license administration for ArcGIS products including but not limited to ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Enterprise, and ArcGIS Online, managing licenses, assisting teaching faculty and staff, and installing and configuring software and licenses.
- Primarily performing GIS analysis and data management, writing metadata, and publishing paper and web maps with ArcGIS Pro, also using ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online.
- On field projects I collect GPS data using a Trimble Geo7x, fly unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for photogrammetric mapping purposes, and taking photos of architecture, artifacts, and other site related materials using standard photographic techniques as well as with advanced technologies such as gigapixel photography and reflectance transformation imaging (RTI).
- Develop data management and organization plans, document workflows in written and video form, and assisting the directors with office organization.
- Management of our Amazon Web Services ecosystem, provisioning EC2 instances, managing security groups, managing S3 and Glacier data stores, and have worked with a Snowball Edge device. Administering Window Server 2019 instances for IIS web services, as well as installation and management of ArcGIS Server instances.
- Designed a data backup solution for the Digital Heritage and Humanities Collections consisting of a main network attached storage system, an onsite mirror and data versioning system, a weekly backup solution to Box.com, and a biannual backup solution to AWS using an AWS Snowball Edge device.
- Management of the Digital Media Commons (DMC)
- I designed the hardware configuration of the 39 computers in the public and closed lab to maximize performance for GIS, photo editing, video editing, 3D modelling and rendering, and CAD work. The computers were purchased as a part of a grant from the University of South Florida, part of a larger expansion of DMC services and opportunities.
- Writing silent install scripts to quickly and efficiently install software and change registry, administrators, and licensing on computers in the lab.
- Present workshops on GIS topics not covered by the USF School of Geosciences to extend GIS education and outreach for the USF Library.
- Administering the digital skill badging workshop program for Adobe Creative Cloud software by creating and reviewing learning plans for workshops, scheduling instructors to teach workshops, and grading assignments from workshop attendees.
Graduate/Research Assistant – Alliance for Integrated Spatial Technologies (AIST) – University of South Florida – 2014 to 2016
- Create tutorials and labs for using Trimble Pathfinder, Trimble Terrasync, and ArcPad for the USF School of Geosciences graduate course in Geographic Positioning Systems, and on ArcGIS Online and Story Maps for the Museum Visualizations course.
- Photographer for field work and artifact collections, in addition to basic photography I make RTIs, gigapixel panoramas, flying a drone, and photogrammetric 3D models.
- Responsible for publishing and managing GIS data online with Leaflet, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Flex Viewer, Google Earth, and ArcServer, as well as administering ArcGIS Online, ArcServer, and the group website.
- Worked with another graduate student on creating a smart phone app for a national park to have an interactive tour using Apache Cordova.
Research Assistant – University of South Florida Libraries – January 2014 to June 2014
- Cataloged and geolocated cave and other KARST features around the world from speleological publications.
- Create and update Dublin Core metadata records for speleological publications.
- Parsing Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, and Korean language documents for KARST features.
Field Work Experience
- Moseley Homestead, Brandon, FL – 2019 to 2020
- Fort Matanzas National Historic Site – 2019
- Jackson Rooming House, Tampa, FL – 2019
- Dozier School for Boys, Marianna, FL – 2019 to 2020
- Flying UAVs for 3D photogrammetric mapping the surface of former reform school for purposes of finding unmarked graves, and for creating surfaces for ground penetrating radar (GPR) underground models
- Collecting GNSS data for GPR grids, ground control points for photogrammetric mapping, and of dig units
- Quirigua, Izabal, Guatemala – March 2019
- Flying a UAV for photography and photogrammetric mapping
- Photographing gigapixel panoramas of stela.
- Collecting GNSS data for mapping features around the site and collecting ground control points for UAV mapping and laser scanning.
- Photographed the site with a 360 camera for virtual reality tours.
- City of Philadelphia Potter’s Field – 2018
- Flying a UAV to create a 3D map of the surface of the potter’s field using photogrammetry in order to create a map of the graves in the potter’s field.
- Collected GNSS data for ground control points for the 3D photogrammetric mapping, and to collect locations of exhumed graves.
- Used ArcGIS Pro to bring together the GNSS and UAV photogrammetric data to create a geodatabase comprised of the grave units, imagery, and surface data.
- Armenian churches and monasteries – August and September 2018
- Worked at Surb Petros Monastery, Matosavank, Kasagh Basilica, Haghpat Monastery, and Goshevank.
- Flew UAVs at each site for photogrammetric mapping and for general photography and videography.
- Collected GNSS at each site for mapping the site in GIS as well as collecting ground control points for the UAV mapping.
- Shot 360 photos and videos for virtual reality tours of each site.
- Photographed interiors, exteriors, and items of interest using general photography techniques and gigapixel photography techniques.
- Shot engraved surfaces using reflectance transformation imaging techniques
- Castillo de San Marcos – 2017 to 2020
- Land O’ Lakes, FL Sinkhole – July 2017 to May 2018
- Flying a UAV for photography, videography, and photogrammetric mapping purposes on multiple dates to show the progression of the sinkhole over time.
- Collecting GNSS data to map features of and around the sinkhole and ground control points for the UAV mapping and laser scanning
- Used ArcGIS to create a time series geodatabase of the site, and ArcGIS Online to share GIS and photogrammetry data.
- Muséum national d’histoire naturelle, Paris – February and March 2016
- Photographing individual bones and skeletons for mapping the images onto 3D models.
- Assisting with 3D scan data collection of individual bones and skeletons
- Hagphat Monastery Complex, Armenia – September 2015
- Flew a UAV at the site to create photogrammetric 3D models and maps of the site, shooting landscape and building photos, and shooting videos of the site.
- Shooting general photographs and gigapixel photographs of the exteriors and interiors of each building at the site, as well as several out buildings
- Photographed Armenian inscriptions around the site using general photographic techniques, photogrammetric methods, and reflectance transformation imaging
- Collected GNSS data for mapping the site and creating ground control points for the UAV mapping
Master of Arts in Geography with a specialization in Geographic Information Systems – University of South Florida School of Geosciences – 2013 to 2016
🇳🇱 My master’s degree was evaluated by Nuffic on November 25, 2020 through the International Diplomawaardering (IDW) in the Netherlands, here is their evaluation:
Hierdoor heeft betrokkene een niveau bereikt dat in Nederlandse termen overeenkomt met dat van de mastergraad in het wetenschappelijk onderwijs in de richting geo-information science.
Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems – University of South Florida School of Geosciences – 2012 to 2013
Bachelor of Arts in Geography – University of South Florida School of Geosciences – 2008 to 2012
Spatial Technologies Software
- ESRI ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Pro 2.7
- ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and ArcScene 10.8.1
- Survey 123
- Survey 123 Connect
- ArcGIS Collector
- Spatial Analyst Extension
- 3D Analyst Extension
- Network Analyst Extension
- ArcGIS Server
- ArcGIS Online
- ArcGIS Cloud Builder for AWS
- Agisoft Metashape Professional (formerly Agisoft Photoscan Professional) 1.6
- QGIS 3.16
- Cloud Compare
- Trimble Pathfinder
- Trimble Terrasync
- Trimble Business Center
- Mapbox Tilemill
- ENVI 4.8
- Java Open Street Map Editor
- LASTools and LAS-ZIP
- GPSTest for Android
- NMEA Tools Pro for Android
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2020
- Adobe Premiere CC 2019
- Adobe Lightroom CC Classic
- Adobe InDesign CC 2020
- Adobe Illustrator CC 2020
- Blender 2.8
- Open Broadcasting Suite
Computer Management and Tools
- Operating Systems
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2019
- Ubuntu Desktop
- Ubuntu Server
- Amazon Web Services
- EC2 (Windows Server and Ubuntu Server)
- Snowball Edge
- AWSCLI 1 and 2
- SSH and SCP
- IIS 7
- Windows Firewall
- Windows Subsystems for Linux
- Virtual Box
- Microsoft Word 365 and 2019
- Microsoft Excel 365 and 2019
- Microsoft PowerPoint 365 and 2019
- Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Planner
- Microsoft Office 365 Forms
- Adobe Acrobat DC
- Skype/Skype for Business
- LibreOffice Write
- LibreOffice Calc
- Google Forms
- When to Work
- Aleph Circulation
- Springshare LibCal
- Springshare LibGuides
Programming Skills and Libraries
- Python (Intermediate) ArcPy
- xml.dom and xml.dom.minidom
- Leaflet/ESRI Leaflet
- R Studio (Beginner)
- C# .Net Core (Beginner)
- Docker (Beginner)
Workshops Developed and Taught
- Introduction to Adobe InDesign
- A 1 hour interactive workshop to introduce Adobe InDesign
- Example content tailored each time to instructor’s goal
- How to add and format text and photos
- How to set up a document, margins, bleeds, and master pages.
- USF Libraries DMC Discover: GIS Workshops Series
- Discover: GIS Workshop on Mobile Apps for GPS Collection
- A 1 hour interactive workshop to introduce ArcGIS Collector and ArcGIS Survey 123
- The workshops shows how to set up an ArcGIS Collector project, starting in ArcGIS Pro, uploading to ArcGIS Online, and onto a smart phone.
- The workshop also shows how to set up Survey 123 projects in ArcGIS Online and with the Survey 123 Connect apps, and then how to access the project on a smart phone.
- Covers alternatives to ArcGIS GNSS collector apps and other GNSS tools available for Android and iOS.
- Discover: GIS Workshop on GIS Certifications
- A 1 hour lecture style workshop
- Covers professional certifications from ASPRS and GISP
- Covers software certifications from ESRI and Pix4D
- Covers other tangential certifications such as MCSA
- Discover: GIS Workshop on Drones: Rules and Applications in GIS
- A 1 hour lecture style workshop
- Covers FAA laws regarding drone usage
- Covers USF rules for operating a drone for official purposes
- Covers Applications in GIS and remote sensing
- Discover: GIS Workshop on Web Mapping Options
- A 1 hour lecture style workshop
- Mostly explores ArcGIS Online web maps
- Discusses other web mapping options such as Mapbox, Leaflet, and Aveza
- Discover: GIS Workshop on Finding Remote Sensing Data
- A 1 hour lecture style workshop
- How to find remote sensing imagery and LiDAR data
- Shows how to use EarthExplorer, USGS National Map, ESA Copernicus, FDOT Aplus, and NOAA Digital Coast
- Discover: GIS Workshop on Mobile Apps for GPS Collection
Licenses and CertificationsAWS Certified Cloud Practitioner (January 6, 2021)ESRI Desktop Associate EADA 19-001 Certification (December 22, 2020)
Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional (February 2020-2023) from the GIS Certification Institute. Certification Number 160772.
FAA Part 107 Commercial Drone License
FARO Laser Scanning Certification with FARO X330 Scanners and FARO Scene Software (January 2017)
Technical Contributor (unnamed in citation)
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “Preservation, Conservation, and Curation Plan: Moseley Homestead (8HI208), Brandon, Florida,” Technical Report, 2020. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “The Use and Potential Misuse of 3D and Spatial Heritage Data in Our Nation’s Parks,” Technical Report, 2019. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “Remote Sensing: Lidar, GPS, and GIS Examination of Cattle Mound Archaeological Sites in Congaree National Park,” Technical Report, 2018. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “3D Digital Documentation of Historic Launch Complex Structures at CCAFS: A Workflow Methodology for Cultural Resource Documentation – LC19 and LC34 Areas of Interest,” Technical Report, 2018. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “3D Digital Documentation of Historic Launch Complex Structures at CCAFS: A Workflow Methodology for DOD Cultural Resources,” Technical Report, 2017. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “Examining Erosion with a Terrestrial Laser Scanning Survey of the Russell Cave Rock Shelter, Russell Cave National Monument,” Technical Report, 2017. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “Terrestrial and Airborne LiDAR Digital Documentation of Kosciuszko Mine, Ninety Six National Historic Site,” Technical Report, 2015. Link to Document.
Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis; Gonzalez Garcia, Jorge. “The Chinsegut Hill 3D Documentation Project,” Technical Report, 2014. Link to Document.
Accepted Abstract, event cancelled due to COVID-19. Speed, Garrett. “A Day When Satellites Aligned: Examining Landsat and Sentinel Imagery in Tampa Bay, Florida,” Powerpoint, Florida Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting 2020, Daytona Beach, FL.
Speed, Garrett; Collins, Lori; Doering, Travis. “UAV Data Collection and Data Analyses with the July 2017 Land O’ Lakes Sinkhole,” Poster, Florida Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting 2019, Melbourne, FL.
Speed, Garrett. “Classification of LiDAR and Satellite Imagery Using Neural Networks,” Presentation, Florida Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting 2015, Saint Leo, FL.
Collins, Jennifer; Paxton, Charlie; Speed, Garrett. “A Warning System for Considering Social Characteristics of a Population at Risk,” Poster, Undergraduate Research Symposium 2011, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL.
Accepted Abstract, event cancelled due to COVID-19. Downs, Christine, et al. “Spatial and temporal imaging of a cover-collapse sinkhole in west-central Florida through high resolution remote sensing and geophysical techniques,” Paper, Sinkhole Conference 2020, San Juan, PR. Read the paper here.Abstract
Collins, Lori and Garrett Speed. “Terrestrial and UAV LiDAR,” Powerpoint, Florida ASPRS Fall 2018 LiDAR Conference, Lake Apopka, FL. Event Link. Braunmiller, et al. “Seismic Observations Following the July 2017 Pasco County, West Florida, Sinkhole Collapse,” Poster, Seismological Society of America Annual Meeting 2018. Abstract Link.Abstract
Collins, Lori, et al. “The Future of Rock Art and Monument Documentation with Implications for Technology Integration, Dissemination and Learning, and Resource Preservation,” Presentation, XVIIIth Congress UISPP, June 2018, Paris, France. Link to Document.Abstract
Collins, Lori, et al. “A Multi-Sensor Approach to Documenting a Large Collapse Sinkhole in West-Central Florida,” Poster, American Geophysical Union Fall Conference 2017, New Orleans, LA. Abstract Link.Abstract
In Attendance (Not Presenting)
- AWS Re:Invent, Online Conference (December 2020)
- Florida ASPRS Fall LiDAR Workshop (October 22, 2020)
- ESRI User Conference, Online Conference (July 2020)
- Florida ASPRS Fall LiDAR Workshop (November 7, 2019)
- ESRI User Conference, San Diego, CA (July 8-12, 2019)
- ESRI Education Summit, San Diego, CA (July 6-8, 2019)
- ISPRS Geospatial Week, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands (June 10-12, 2019)
- Florida ASPRS Spring LiDAR Workshop (June 2018)
- Commercial UAV Expo, Las Vegas, NV (2017)
- The Drone Revolution is Spatial Analysis, Center for Geographic Analysis, Harvard, Boston, MA (2017)
- Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL (2014)
- FARO User Conference, Orlando, FL (2014)
- Florida Inorganic and Materials Symposium (2007, 2008)
In-Person Trainings Attended
- High Accuracy GPS/GNSS Field Data Collection with Esri Collector Workshop hosted by Anatum Geospatial
- GNSS used hands on in workshop were EOS Arrow units
- Also a walkthrough on how to create an ArcGIS Collector project in ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online
- Authoring Forms with Survey 123 Connect (July 6, 2019)
- In person training at the ESRI Education Summit
- Showing how to download Survey 123 Connect
- Configuring advanced Survey 123 forms with Microsoft Excel
- FARO Laser Scanning (In Person Training 2017)
- In person two day training at FARO’s Lake Mary, Florida headquarters
- Software training using Scene 6.2
- Hardware training using Faro X330 Laser Scanners
- Unidata Software Training
- In person two day training at the University of South Florida for meteorologists in the Tampa Bay Area
- Software training with McIDAS and AWIPS IIv
Online Trainings and MOOCs
FEMA (Online Training)
- FEMA 100.b
- FEMA 200.b
- FEMA 700.a
- FEMA 800.b
ArcGIS (Online Training)
- Spatial Data Science: The New Frontier in Analytics MOOC
- Using the R-ArcGIS Bridge
- Teaching with GIS: Field Data Collection Using ArcGIS
- Creating and Sharing Map Packages with ArcGIS
- Migrating to the ArcGIS Local Government Information Model
- Getting Started with Geoprocessing (August 2019)
- Address Geocoding with ArcGIS
- Creating and Editing Metadata with ArcGIS
- Editing Basics with ArcGIS Pro
- Field GIS: Collecting and Editing Data with ArcPad
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro
- Preparing to Implement ArcGIS Online
Wordpress SEO (April 2019)
Video Gear: Technical Tips (April 2019)
Photo Management: Metadata (April 2019)
Learning Video Live Streaming (April 2019)
Google Forms Essential Training (April 2019)
Learning SSH (April 2019)
Learning FTP (April 2019)
CompTIA A+ (220-901) Cert Prep: 5 Networking (April 2019)
Setting Up a Small Office Network (April 2019)
Learning Python Generators (April 2019)
- Learning DSLR Filmmaking (June 2017)
Creating 360 Degree Panoramas and Interactive Tours (June 2019)
Drones vs Planes: a Conversation on Aerial Photography (June 2019)
Learning Aerial Photography with Drones (July 2019)
Premiere Pro Guru: Understanding Compression (June 2019)
Wordpress 5 Essential Training (July 2019)
Wordpress 5 Essential Training: Site Administration (July 2019)
Making Video 2: Teach Something (August 2019)
Travelling for Business (August 2019)
Establishing Credibility as a Speaker (November 2019)
- How to Present and Stay on Point (November 2019)
- InDesign Quick Tips (November 2019)
- Autodesk Recap Pro Processing Drone Images (November 2019)
- ArcGIS Pro 2.4 Essential Training
- Building an Ubuntu Home Server (February 2020)
- Leading Virtual Meetings (March 2020)
- Windows Server 2019 Essential Training (April 2020)
- Securing Windows Server 2019 (April 2020)
- Windows Server 2019: File Services (April 2020)
- What is Scrum? (May 2020)
- Scrum: The Basics (May 2020)
- Scrum: Advanced (May 2020)
- Characteristics of a Great Scrum Master (May 2020)
- Learning AWS CloudFormation (May 2020)
- Writing Recommendations (May 2020)
- Building a Home IT Lab (May 2020)
Embry Riddle sUAS Key Concepts and Best Practices for New Users (MOOC)
Trimble GPS Pathfinder Office v5.8 and Later User Exam
Kognito Simulation At-Risk for University & College Faculty (University of South Florida) (January 10, 2020)Description: Training to recognize students and university community members who may be at-risk or could benefit from university counseling services.
- National Eagle Scout Association (Lifetime membership)
- National Association for Armenian Studies and Research (since 2020)
- American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (2018-2020)
- Florida Academy of Sciences (Since 2018)